Not me talking - Gary Boomer - In the November 2nd edition of Accounting Today.
Within IGAF Worldwide, we just completed our 2009 Marketing Directors Conference, and one whole day was given over to 'new media.'
A couple of things I thought of note there:
- Your website is a hub - everything else, including social media hangs off of the hub
- Control is, at best, fleeting and illusory - A great example of this is how long it took USAir to get a Twitter account up after the Hudson River incident compared to how quickly 'the world' was sharing details - Southwest Airlines even beat USAir in commenting on it! Also, Gary Boomer goes onto say, "forget about trying to control how employees use (social media)"
- New media is not really a replacement - it is an enhancement to your marcom efforts
- The goalposts are moving - Friendster was meant to own this space, and now......
- Closing down desktop access means employees will use smartphones to access social media